|Located in Crook, County Durham in the Market Place at South Street. The Empire Theatre was opened on 14th November 1910. It had a 20 feet wide proscenium and a 14 feet deep stage. There were two dressing rooms. It was soon taken over by Northern Counties Electric Theatres Ltd, and went over to cinema use, renamed Empire Electric Palace. It was equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system in 1929, and by this time it was operated by North East Coast Cinemas Ltd. owned by Sol Sheckman, which later became part of his Essoldo circuit.|
The Empire Palace Cinema was closed by Essoldo and converted into a bingo club around 1967. In 2013, the building is in use as Speedo Car Parts
Chronicle article, 1st December 2015,'A glorious Edwardian cinema in Crook could be back in use if plans bear fruit'
Northern Echo, article, 4th December 2015, 'Bringing the Empire Electric Palace in Crook back to life'
BBC News, 7th January 2016, Campaigners bid to breathe new life into Crook's Electric Palace Theatre
BBC Look North broadcast/interview
More Photographs will be added soon - please look back.